Green Day Fail To Impress Punk Icon

Green Day Fail To Impress Punk Icon

Tags: Green Day - Buzzcocks - Sex Pistols - The Clash

Rock superstars Green Day were left red-faced after meeting their hero, THE Buzzcocks guitarist STEVE DIGGLE - but he had no idea who they were.

The AMERICAN IDIOT stars, who are hailed by their fans as modern punks, were desperate to meet Diggle - whose band is considered one of the world's most influential punk outfits alongside THE Sex Pistols and The Clash.

But unfortunately EVER FALLEN IN LOVE? rocker Diggle didn't share the same level of admiration for them.

He says, "I didn't have a clue who they were. And they're not punks."

23/06/2005 09:26

Comments

kcgreendayluver's picture

kcgreendayluver

This dude obviously doesn't know the meaning of punk rocker, because Green Day is the face of Punk Rock! This guy needs to check his facts. GREEN DAY ROX! They have been through more s**t that that guy knows, so give um credit for what they've done, they have become the Kings of Rock, and they've earned it!

Mrs. Billie Joe's picture

Mrs. Billie Joe

Hahaha, Green Day not pink, you crack me up!!! Who ever this Diggle guy is, he is a total a**hole!!! I mean come on!!! Quote from Billie Joe: "A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!'. So he kicks over the garbage can and says 'That's Punk?', and I say 'No that's trendy!' So there, they are punk...f*** you Diggle!!!

greendayroxmysox!'s picture

greendayroxmysox!

aww!!! poor guys!!! that guy needs to catch up with punk music! he obviously didnt think they are punks because hes not a 'modern' punk! i personally feel sorry for the guy who said they werent punks! green day are f*****g amazin & if he dont no that then where the hell has he been since 1994?

offthedeepend's picture

offthedeepend

thanks stdanger for the compliment but I am a she not a he. :)the buzzc**ks do have a huge influence on early punk but I could never get passed their singers voice. He sounds like he represents the Lollipop Guild.

offthedeepend's picture

offthedeepend

Being probably the most "geriatric" Green Day fan on the planet (33) this guy has got to be outright lying. I know of 50 year old country music fans that have heard of Green Day. How does he know that they aren't punk if he hasn't heard of them? I hated punk (including the Buzzc**ks, they have one good song) until Green Day's Dookie came out. I was more of a Soundgarden/Alice & Chains type. Green Day is about the only punk band I like and I have liked them since 1994. This guy is just trying to get his few minutes of fame. Half of those punks who say they won't go mainstream or sign to a major label because they are selling out are just too scared of the backlash they would get from the punk community. Though they would secretly like to have the balls Green Day had to go mainstream. I saw he can kiss off. Green Day is the best band on the planet and will be around longer and have a more lasting effect on music then The Buzzc**ks ever will. I am raising a new generation of Green Day fans (daughter, 13 & son, 10)so may Green Day be around for years to come.

Rodrigo's picture

Rodrigo

Green Day it's not punk? So what means punk?

Julie4273@aol.com's picture

Julie4273@aol.com

I have never even herd of that guy and if he is so ignorant not to know Green Day thats pretty pathetic. And how the f**k could he say they aren't punk when he never herd of them? Green Day shouldn't worry about people like that. They know they have way more fans who love them.

pinkpunkpuke's picture

pinkpunkpuke

finally, a person w/ the decency to tell the truth. of course he knew who Green Day are, he just doesn't KNOW them. get the metaphysical difference you morons. If Green Day is punk, Martha Stewart is the new Vivian Westwood.

9 years 1 month ago

SaintDanger's picture

SaintDanger

Steve Diggle needs to get a hold of himself. True, he was part of a very influential Punk Rock group (no-one can deny that), but punk has changed over the years that they have been dormant from music-making.I agree with 'offthedeepend' (And praise him for helping with the new generation of fans - I'm 13 and have been a life-long fan) that Diggle must be lying in hope of 'dampening Green Day's success'.The generation of Buzzc**ks fans is quickly disappearing. Ask any teenager who The Buzzc**ks are and they may have a vague idea. Ask that same kid about Green Day and you're guaranteed a better, more enthusiastic responce.The Buzzc**ks are well and truely past it, and this display of disregard and blatant rudeness to a fan isn't helping their profile right now in the eyes of Green Day fans.

my aim is billyjoeA1988's picture

my aim is billy...

*ahem* if i do remember from the egos and icons episode with Green day a qoute from there of "were not a voice for punk and we dont want to " and " punk was dead if you didnt get it from the start so.... f**k it"Billie Joe Armstrongyes i am a Green day frek /fan