James Cameron Is Most Powerful Man In Film
'Avatar' director James Cameron has been named the most powerful man in the film world, beating Steven Spielberg and Christopher Nolan to the top spot.
CM_UIN*E*R*D_5516a3c9a82255516a3c9a82c9 has been named the most powerful man in film.
The Canadian director beat Steven Spielberg, Leonardo DiCaprio and Christopher Nolan in the list by The Guardian newspaper's Film & Music supplement, which proclaimed him the most influential man in the movie world thanks to 'Titanic' and 'Avatar'.
It said: "Cameron occupies the top two spots in the list of the highest grossing movies of all time, with 'Titanic' (worldwide gross: $1.8 billion) second only to 'Avatar' ($2.7 billion). Those figures are so high that it seems scarcely worth mentioning that other of his films, 'Terminator 2: Judgement Day', stands in the lower reaches of the top 100 with takings of over $519 million; loose change, really."
Discussing Spielberg, who entered the poll at number two - the panel highlighted he was an "undisputed giant of cinema" but noted critics had said he had created "amusement park movies" over classic American cinema.
The list - created by experts including the Guardian's film editor Andrew Pulvor, studio executive Colin Vaines and former artistic director of the Edinburgh International Film Festival Hannah McGill - also highlighted the importance of Brad Pitt, Quentin Tarantino and George Clooney in its top 10.
Other notable entries in the top 100 include British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen at number 26, 'Prince of Persia' producer Jerry Bruckheimer at number 45 and 'Kick-Ass' screenwriter Jane Goldman at number 96.
The Film Power 100 by The Guardian newspaper's Film & Music supplement, top 20:
1. James Cameron (director)
2. Steven Spielberg (director)
3. Leonardo DiCaprio (actor)
4. John Lasseter (director)
5. Brad Pitt (actor and producer)
6. Christopher Nolan (director)
7. Scott Rudin (producer)
8. Quentin Tarantino (director)
9. George Clooney (actor and director)
10. Ed Vaizey (UK government minister)
11. Johnny Depp (actor and producer)
12. Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner (producers)
13. J. J. Abrams (director and producer)
14. Alan F. Horn and Jeff Robinov (studio executives)
15. Ridley Scott (director)
16. Tom Rothman and Jim Gianopulos (studio executives)
17. Tim Burton (director)
18. Angelina Jolie (actress)
19. Brad Grey (studio executive)
20. Martin Scorsese (director)