Jackson's Neverland To Become State Park?

Tags: Michael Jackson

Fans of Michael Jackson may get to visit the King of Pop's Neverland Ranch after all - a Californian lawmaker wants to turn the property into a state park.
The Thriller hitmaker moved out of his Santa Barbara home in 2005 after cops raided it in 2003 following his arrest on child molestation charges.
Private equity firm Colony Capital LLC now co-owns the sprawling estate with the Jackson family after the singer signed it over to them for $35 million (£23 million) in 2008.
Now California assemblyman Mike Davis has suggested declaring Neverland an official state park - an area of land preserved on account of its historic interest, and administered by the Californian government.
If his proposal gets the go-ahead, it could mean Jackson's fans will be free to visit the site.
Davis tells the Associated Press, "Given that we have an economic shortfall... I suspect it would be difficult for the State Parks Department to purchase the property alone... I am committed to finding out all details possible to make this a good proposal."
Last year (09) residents in the nearby Santa Ynez Valley rallied against plans to turn Jackson's former home into a tourist attraction.

Comments

mjlover4life's picture

mjlover4life

Michael signed it over in 2008!!! Wow, why would Michael hold on to a peice of property that he did not want & kept a portion of it. Then finally signed it over because of financial problems in 2008. I personally think once he healed from all of the hell he was made to endure he would have gone back to live there with his kids. To show the world that they did not break him. I hope they do turn it into a park, build a large road that connects to a major highway & rename it Michael Jackson's Neverland. It would be great to have a colorful statue of him as well as open the rides & the movie theather.

SWB's picture

SWB

Neverland is already close to other California wilderness areas, ocean front and state parks, including the Los Padres National Forest, so it makes sense to incorporate the property into the existing landscape, if CA can get the money to pay Mr. Barrack for it.

heyjude's picture

heyjude

This is the best news I've heard all week!

a.y.harrison's picture

a.y.harrison

I think it's so hypocritical of California wanting to get on the band wagon to have a park. The only reason they are deciding to do this is because where Michael grew up Gary, Indiana is going to have a museum, and donate 300 acres, which is where I am going, and I live in California. I'm a native. I am hoping that everyone will get the message and see what they are doing. When it was first brought up after Michael died, Santa Barbara didn't want to have any part of it. Fans wake up let's not let them screw us again, we can send them a strong message by not supporting this, by not attending this park. The conspiracy behind the molestation charges were all because they didn't want Michael there in the first place, so they made up false allegations in order to discredit Michael, and drive him away from Neverland. Michael said he would never live their again. Part of the conspiracy was they wanted him out, because they wanted that land for a winery. Now that Gary, Indiana has decided to honor Michael, his hometown , they realize that they made a stupid mistake, and now California realize they could benefit from this. Therefore fans we can give them a strong message by not supporting this at all, by not going to this park. For me the intimacy is visiting where he grew up and from a city that loved him throughout everything not California. It would be appropriate at this time for Michael to have the same as Elvis with Graceland. Memphis is Elvis hometown. Now we can honor Michael in Gary and call it Michael's Home Land, because he made it clear that he would never go back to Neverland because of the torment and torture he went through. So let's honor his memory and wishes by sending California a strong message and support Gary Indiana. I am looking forward to going there. I am not and will not spend one red penny to attend Neverland, because of the abuse and humiliation he suffered there. They treated him like a criminal, he was guilty before proven innocent, and for that I have a problem with. I am a true Michael Jackson fan, I saw him for the first time on the Ed Sullivan Show, and I can vivdly remember, saying to myself this is an old soul, but this is a little angel. I knew from that moment he would be successful, it was something about his spirt that showed me that he had a sweet and sincere spirt. Therefore I am not about to allow all those greedy crooked California pliticians, and businessmen get a dime of my money. I'm going back to Gary,Indiana.So fans pass it on let's send a real strong message.Don't forget they had a problem with picking up the tab during his memorial at Staples center, saying the family should pay for this. Don't get caught up in the moment and think they are doing us a favor, because they aren't. It's all about the money. Fans I hope I have given you something to think about in how they've treated us for the past year. For me I still feel the pain how the State of California treated him and that's why when I retire I'm out of here.

Lorraine Anne Longshaw-Harrietha's picture

Lorraine Anne L...

Isn't the state of California under finiancial woes?Maybe that's why they are interested in buying Neverland. Can you imagine the $$$$$$$$ that would be generated because of Neverland.I believe Michael still owned Neverland.I would love to see his children bring it back to it's glory days in the future. What a tribute that would be!!!!

girlygirlymormor's picture

girlygirlymormor

now this is exciting, Neverland will be a state park, will the children will be able to play. Yesterday I liston to a song by Min. Shirley Ceasat " Is there a Playground in heaven" this song made me cry the viedo was so touching, I know that there is a play gound there so the child like mike will be able to play when he lost his childhood to perform. I know now that he is enjoying his praiseing god in heaven.rip mike

zen2580's picture

zen2580

the jacksons shou should keep neverland!!!! restore it to its beauty for michael and fans children can visit !!!!!!

jvfan's picture

jvfan

AJ Harrison, you have put forward a compelling arguement. However as a foriegn fan (from the other side of the planet, who as loved him from the first time I ever saw him on TV), I just want a place that he's been at, to vist, when I do make the trip. I am of course thrilled at the idea, and I don't know much about American politics, but after the way you guys had treated him, by God you owe him and his fans a heck of a lot. Gary, Indiana, California it makes no difference to me. All I know is, you guys need to honour him, in a BIG way!!!!!!

mjmyhero1's picture

mjmyhero1

I am so happy to hear this, I will be one of the first fans to visit NeverLand Ranch, I would be able to see where MJ spent alot of his time and made families laugh with their children. i"m looking forward to it, cant wait im so excited, i just hope it really happens..miss u Mj RIP>>ita all for the L.O.V.E

imblessed62's picture

imblessed62

Sorry to disappoint you all but the idea of making it a state park doesn't mean it will be rides and all the state parks are nothing more than a place to drive into and camp and look at trees in most places. With an enterance to pay to go look at they will take away his buildings most likely and say there you have a state park.It will most likely be striped of all the traces of neverland they are only interested in the money and selling the land off.The history of the place will go under the ground.I agree with the person who said they think HE should get what Elvis got with graceland.The same should be for Neverland to Michael.The state of Cali is just greedy.Of all people who are not from USA there playing with us fans. They will not make it a place for Michael fans to visit and find what great things he had done there it will become another attraction to them for money with nothing left of his memory. The only way I see the place being made into something to honor Michael is if his family and children do it not the state of california.