Andrew Sachs To Join Coronation Street Castby Contributor | 05 January 2009
Former Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs is to appear in Coronation Street, it has been announced.
The 78-year-old will join the cast of the long-running ITV1 soap later this year, a spokesman confirmed.
The comedy veteran dominated the headlines last year after being the victim of the radio prank that saw Jonathan Ross suspended from his BBC1 chatshow and Russell Brand resigning from Radio 2 after thousands of complaints were received.
The pair had left obscene voicemails on Sachs' answerphone in which they joked about Brand having slept with Sachs' granddaughter Georgina Bailie.
Sachs recently revealed he had been "absurdly busy" since the furore surrounding Ross and Brand and his return to the public eye will continue with a part on Coronation Street.
"I can confirm that Andrew Sachs has taken us up on the offer. He will be joining us later this year," said a spokesman for the popular serial drama.
"At this moment I cannot go into any further details."
The actor told the Daily Telegraph on Saturday that there had been "moves afoot" to cast him as a Weatherfield resident.
"It's only an idea at the moment, but they sent me the synopsis, which I can't talk about because it is deadly secret and they would probably behead me," he joked.
He is also set to take part in the upcoming series of Countdown, with Sky Sports presenter Jeff Stelling and Oxford graduate Rachel Riley the new presenters of the Channel 4 show.