Back To Black Named Top Sellerby Contributor | 31 December 2007
Amy Winehouse's album Back to Black has been confirmed as the biggest selling album of the year.
Though X Factor winner Leona Lewis sold an amazing 1.59 million copies of her debut album Spirit in just seven weeks, Winehouse's 1.85 million sales secured the number one spot, according to the Official UK Charts Company.
Winehouse's commercial success comes as her personal life grows increasingly turbulent.
She was summoned to appear in a Norwegian court on Friday to appeal against a fine for drug use, after being arrested in October.
And her husband Blake Fiedler-Civil is currently being held on remand in the UK on the charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice.
A spokesman for the Official UK Charts company told the BBC: "Amy's success highlights that she is not just about tabloid headlines, but that her music speaks for itself.
"Back To Black continues to be an impressive word-of-mouth hit."
Leona did secure the best-selling single of the year however, with Bleeding Love shifting an impressive 788,000 copies in ten weeks.
And while Rihanna's ubiquitous Umbrella was named the second best-selling single of the year, Leon Jackson's When You Believe was revealed to be the fastest-selling track of 2007.
Despite only being released on December 17th, The X Factor winner's debut has shifted a staggering 400,000 copies.
The Scottish crooner also held on to the UK number one spot yesterday.
The top ten biggest-selling albums were:
1. Amy Winehouse: Back to Black
2. Leona Lewis: Spirit
3. Mika: Life in Cartoon Motion
4. Take That: Beautiful World
5. Westlife: Back Home
6. Eagles: Long Road Out of Eden
7. Kaiser Chiefs: Yours Truly Angry Mob
8. Arctic Monkeys: Favourite Worst Nightmare
9. Timbaland: Shock Value
10. Rihanna: Good Girl Gone Bad
The top ten biggest-selling singles were:
1. Leona Lewis: Bleeding Love
2. Rihanna feat Jay Z: Umbrella
3. Mika: Grace Kelly
4. Leon Jackson: When You Believe
5. Take That: Rule the World
6. Sugababes: About You Now
7. Timbaland feat Keri Hilson: The Way I Are
8. Proclaimers/Brian Potter/Andy Pipkin: (I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles
9. Mark Ronson feat Amy Winehouse: Valerie
10.Kaiser Chiefs: Ruby