Daltrey Looking For Teenage Cancer Trust Show Successorby Contributor | 28 March 2009
Noel Gallagher and Kelly Jones have been asked by Roger Daltrey to take over organising the Teenage Cancer Trust charity gigs.
Stereophonics headlined this year's concerts at the Royal Albert Hall - which conclude with a comedy night on Sunday - and Jones revealed he had been approached by Daltrey about helping with the shows.
"He's asked me and Noel a couple of times to our faces," Jones told the BBC.
"If you're in a band and you can help people who are worse off, it's not really much to ask for."
Mercury prize winners Antony and the Johnsons performed at a Teenage Cancer Trust concert on Tuesday while other acts in the 2009 lineup include Fairport Convention, Kasabian and Bullet For My Valentine.
Daltrey launched the annual gigs in 2000 and has said: "I would love to find someone from a younger generation to take over from me."
Jones commented: "It's a big job and we're like, 'Come on Roger, you'd do it a lot better than us', and he carries on doing it.
"It depends how much time it involves. I think it's an important thing for somebody to do," he continued.
"I've never really given it as much thought as answering it with a serious tone. We'll see. You see what happens in life."
Daltrey, lead singer of The Who, recently told BBC 6Music he would like to host the charity concerts internationally.
"I would like to take the model of what we've done here and concentrate on getting it started in other countries now," he added.
Of the pressure of booking big-name acts, Daltrey remarked: "It does take an awful lot of energy. I call it my 'yearly breakdown'."