Dylan Claims Billboard Critics' Top Accolade
Bob Dylan's acclaimed new album MODERN TIMES has won another accolade 2006 prize from music industry magazine Billboard's critics.
Almost 50 of the publication's staff and writers were asked to name their favourite album of the past 12 months and Dylan's 2006 release claimed the number one spot.
The folk-rock icon's comeback album beat Bruce Springsteen (WE SHALL OVERCOME: THE SEEGER SESSIONS) and Gnarls Barkley (ST ELSEWHERE) to the top spot on the Billboard Critics' Choice poll.
The album was Dylan's first number one on The Billboard 200 chart since DESIRE 30 years ago (1976).
Dylan's Modern Times claimed Rolling Stone's top album of the year honour earlier this week (beg11DEC06).
The top 10 albums of 2006, as chosen by Billboard's critics, are:
1. MODERN TIMES by BOB DYLAN
2. WE SHALL OVERCOME: THE SEEGER SESSIONS by BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
3. ST ELSEWHERE by GNARLS BARKLEY
4. WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM, THAT'S WHAT I'M NOT by Arctic Monkeys
5. RETURN TO COOKIE MOUNTAIN by TV ON THE RADIO
6. ORPHANS: BRAWLERS, BAWLERS + BASTARDS by Tom Waits
7. BOYS AND GIRLS IN AMERICA by THE HOLD STEADY
8=. STADIUM ARCADIUM by Red Hot Chili Peppers
8=. TAKING THE LONG WAY by Dixie Chicks
9=. 10,000 DAYS by TOOL
9=. LOVE by THE Beatles
10. Corinne Bailey Rae by CORINNE BAILEY RAE