Fashion rich list revealed
The Weston family, the Barclay twins and Sir Philip Green have been named the richest people in fashion.
The Weston family have been named the richest people in fashion.
Galen and George Weston, who control Selfridges and Primark, have a combined fortune of £7.3 billion, according to figures published yesterday (18.05.14) in the annual Sunday Times Rich List, placing them 11th overall with a growth of £650 million in the last 12 months.
Shop Direct owners Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay - who also own media companies, hotels including the Ritz, and other properties - placed second on the fashion list with a fortune of £6 billion, almost twice as much as third-placed Arcadia owner Sir Philip Green and his wife Lady Green.
Sports Direct owner Mike Ashley placed fourth, while Kering chief executive Francois-henri Pinault and his actress wife Salma Hayek - who moved to London this year - were fifth on the list of fashion millionaires.
River Island founder Bernard Lewis may have seen his net worth fall, but he was still worth £1.25 billion, putting him in sixth place, a spot ahead of Pentland chairman Stephen Rubin, who also suffered a loss but was reported as having assets worth just over £1 billion.
Matalan owner John Hargreaves and his family, which includes Nicole Farhi owner Maxine Hargreaves-Adams, took the eighth spot on the list with assets worth £1 billion.
Lord Alliance and family and Peter Simon and family took the final spots in the top 10.
The Sunday Times Rich List 2014: Richest People in Fashion:
1. The Weston Family, £7.3 billion
2. Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay, £6 billion
3. Sir Philip and Lady Green, £3.88 billion
4. Mike Ashley, £3.75 billion
5. Francois-Henri Pinault and Salma Hayek, £2.38 billion
6. Bernard Lewis and family, £1.25 billion
7. Stephen Rubin, £1 billion
8. John Hargreaves, £1 billion
9. Lord Alliance and family, £650 million
10. Peter Simon and family, £610 million