Gotye - Gotye has biggest selling US song of 2012
Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used to Know' was the biggest selling song of 2012 in the US, moving over 6.8 million copies.
Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used to Know' was the biggest selling song of 2012 in the US.
The Belgian-Australian singer's track sold 6.8 million copies, beating Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe', which was second, with 6.4 million sales.
'Somebody That I Used to Know (Featuring Kimbra)' became a phenomena in 2012, catapulting the previously unknown artist to the spotlight. The song has sold over 10 million copies worldwide and reached number one in more than 23 national charts, becoming the fourth most downloaded track of all time.
Speaking of the track, Gotye - real name Wouter De Backer - said he doesn't mind if it's his only successful single.
He said: ''I would take a sort of perverse pleasure if a certain part of the public think of me as a one-hit-wonder. I'd be in some good company.''
Meanwhile analysis company Neilsen SoundScan revealed Adele's '21' album was the biggest selling in the US for the second year running, with 4.41 million copies sold in 2012, following from 5.82 million in 2011. The album has not left the US top 40 since its release in March 2011.
Neilsen SoundScan's top ten biggest selling albums in the US, 2012:
01. Adele, '21' - 4.41 million
02. Taylor Swift, 'Red' - 3.11 million
03. One Direction, 'Up All Night' - 1.62 million
04. Mumford And Sons, 'Babel' - 1.46 million
05. One Direction, 'Take Me Home' - 1.34 million
06. Justin Bieber, 'Believe' - 1.34 million
07. Carrie Underwood's, 'Blown Away', - 1.2 million
08. Luke Bryan, 'Tailgates & Tanlines' - 1.1 million
09. Lionel Richie, 'Tuskegee' -1.07 million
10. Jason Aldean, 'Night Train' - 1.02 million