Betty White - Happy Birthday Betty White!
Veteran actress BETTY WHITE will celebrate the beginning of her last year as an octogenarian on Monday (17Jan11) - the beloved funnywoman turns 89.
The Emmy award-winning star rose to fame hosting her own radio shows before moving into TV with hit programmes including The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Golden Girls.
Recently she's enjoyed a career revival, appearing in The Proposal alongside Sandra Bullock in 2009 and hosting comedy favourite Saturday Night Live last year (10) after a Facebook.com campaign by fans.
To celebrate White's birthday and as a toast to her return to success, WENN has compiled 10 fascinating facts about the star who keeps on shining:
- White moved to Los Angeles when she was two years old during America's Great Depression.
- She attended the Horace Mann School - the same high school as Angelina Jolie, Nicolas Cage, Lenny Kravitz and David Schwimmer.
- The actress is of German and Greek ancestry.
- In 1955 White was made the honorary mayor of Hollywood.
- When Rue MCCLanahan died last summer (10), she became the last surviving member of the four The Golden Girls.
- The veteran star admitted to having cosmetic surgery before starring in 1985's The Golden Girls, despite the show being about growing old.
- She is an avid animal welfare activist and works with a number of organisations.
- In November (10), the USDA Forest Service, along with Smokey Bear, made her an honorary forest ranger - one of her lifelong ambitions.
- White received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1988 - placed next to the star bearing the name of her late husband, Allen Ludden.
- She has guest starred on shows including Ally MCBeal, That '70s Show, Joey, My Name Is Earl and Malcolm in the Middle.