Spector 'Not Doing Great' In Prison

Tags: Phil Spector

Disgraced music mogul Phil Spector is struggling to adapt to life in prison and is "not doing great," according to his representative.
The 69 year old was sentenced to 19 years to life behind bars in May (09) after he was found guilty of fatally shooting actress Lana Clarkson at his Alhambra, California home in 2003.
The producer is serving his time at California's largest state prison, Corcoran, and his publicist, Hal Lifson, is worried about his client's state of mind - because life inside has come as such a shock to Spector.
Lifson says, "He's doing fair, at best, if not worse than fair. He's not doing great. He's in a horrible situation with virtually nothing to do all day. Phil Spector was always a highly productive, creative person and now he's in a five by nine foot cell with no windows and maybe a half hour outside to walk around.
"It's essentially solitary confinement. He doesn't have computer access, he only recently got a little TV. It's a terrible existence for a millionaire record producer who lived in mansions and most recently in a castle, a 35-room home.
"It's a huge, huge change of life for Phil Spector and a devastating turn in his life."
Spector is set to appeal his sentence in 2010. If that fails, Lifson insists Spector will take his case to the federal court of appeal in Washington, D.C.

Comments

spectator2009's picture

spectator2009

Free Phillip's picture

Free Phillip

To the haters:There are people out here who genuinely do care about Mr. Spector's well-being, health and safety.I happen to be one of them. Despite what you might think, Mr. Spector does appreciate his fans as well as his friends. He's a decent individual who was unjustly imprisoned for a crime he did not commit. Too bad you can't see past your hatred and prejudice and chose to convict him in your own minds without weighing the physical evidence and lack thereof. Many of you don't even have the facts of the case right, you just see that he's been "convicted" so obviously he must have "done it." Not all of his supporters choose to disparage Ms. Clarkson so why do you choose to continue to disparage Mr. Spector?

ASTRORORO's picture

ASTRORORO

I'm not sure if keeping this guy behind bars (where he will probably die of boredom) is the right thing to do. It seems that the only man can prevent wannabe murderers is by over-punishing well-known people. To free this old man on a kind of surveillance basis would in my view be sufficient. After all; Miss Clarkson perhaps did shoot herself to death, and I hope the appeal reveals more evidence in that direction.

GPSpector's picture

GPSpector

Please do not take my comments the wrong way. I do care a great deal for my father, in fact I care more for him than he has ever shown my Brothers and I.With that said, I have heard all the real evidence that was brought to both trials and it really hurts me to read how some want to claim that he was wrongly accused and imprisoned without stating so much as 1 fact to prove why. As for the lack of Blood spray that everyone seems to think should be there. How thick do you really think the meat and tissue is from the back of the throat to the Spine? No Autaries were hit. There was really nothing to Splatter.Just saying he was wrongly accused will not give him an Appeal. Someone MUST prove something was done incorrectly or some form of evidence was not brought forth.As much as I hate to say it, the evidence did point to my father pulling the trigger. It was HIS gun and he DID have blood on his jacket and in his hair. He also made the fatle mistake of tampering with the crime scene.As much as I hate to hear he is in Solitary (although, the alternative could be worse), I hate even more to say, I know how it feels to be locked in a room with no way out and very little to do and no contact with other family members. Now, he does too.I forgave him many years ago. Now I'll just wait and hope that he makes it.

zeppy2815's picture

zeppy2815

Well isn't it too bad for Phil. No music, nothing to do all day, hardly enough time outside.... That is more than Lana has!!! He is IN JAIL after all, for KILLING ANOTHER HUMAN BEING!!! It isn't a country club Phil-DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!

Justice For All's picture

Justice For All

Phil Spector is innocent of the crime he was convicted of. Gary, you would like some proof of why it is believed he is innocent, so let me demonstrate: 1) upward and center trajectory: self-inflicted gunshot to the mouth with lips around the gun. Had Mr. Spector been standing over her in her seated position, the trajectory would be downward and probably not center. 2)No GSR on Mr. Spector's hands, sleeves or elsewhere. There was one minute particle which was taken from his jacket or pants, which could have been picked up from when he was tazered and on the floor or from his trip in the squad car. GSR would have been on his sleeve, in the woven fibers of his jacket, had he been the shooter. 3) No blood spatter on Mr. Spector's right sleeve. He is right-handed. The intraoral gunshot had no exit wound, which would have caused an explosion of blood and matter (as is on her clothing). The very minute blood spatter on the left side of his jacket was satellite spatter from when he attempted to administer assistance when he wiped her face. Regarding no blood spatter on Ms. Clarkson past her knees, take a look at the following link to see what happens to a suicide victim following a self-inflicted gunshot wound. His legs involuntarily extend from an upright seated position. Look at the snopes website under "The Last Interrogation" for a demonstration.Also, the prosecution hid many important facts about the decedent and the deperate condition of her life at the time of her death. The disclosure of these facts, don't in any way smear her reputation. They are necessary to support and understand why a woman would be so reckless to accidentally or purposefully take her own life.An injustice has been committed here, and Mr. Spector doesn't deserve to pay for this unfortunate act which Ms. Clarkson perpetrated upon herself.

pillow lady's picture

pillow lady

This dreadful turn of events needs to be corrected. The extreme conditons Mr Spector finds himself will result in his early death. He is frail to start with and the lack of proper medical care will only accelerate his demise. Some do not care and rejoice in that fact. I don't wish bad on him. The appeal will give him a chance that may free him. Forensics do not lie.I am so sorry for Lana's death, but, I think the 2nd trial breezed past the forensic evidence and went for a more emotionally charged prosecution. He may well be innocent and it could have been Lana fooling around. What a travesty that would be for all involved.

GPSpector's picture

GPSpector

What saddens me is, reading statements in support of my father by misquoting facts.Though my father did state that the gun used was not even his, to be later proven, though an unregistered gun, was in fact his. Also, the claim that Lana's DNA was on the bullets as if to imply that Lana loaded the gun, but what almost never gets stated is that the DNA was her blood.Also, it seems many are not aware that any actor/actress that will be handling any firearm 9or prop firearm), must go through a Firearm Safety course. I can't believe she, or any actor would just play with a strangers (or someone else's) gun. So, I have trouble believing she did.I have no problem with those that support my father, I too wish I could do something to help him, but I just can not support the spread of misinformation about this case. I watched both trials and I found no fault in the final verdict.I do wish my father much luck in his Appeal but as long as Rachelle is the one behind his Appeal, on her own, he stands no chance to win. And I would never call a Publicist for help on a legal matter.

GPSpector's picture

GPSpector

to Justice for all: Lets look at misinformation compared to facts.1) "upward and center trajectory: self-inflicted gunshot to the mouth with lips around the gun". This is not proof of anything. Her head could have been in any position relative to the gun, regardless of who fired the shot.2)"No GSR on Mr. Spector's hands, sleeves or elsewhere". It was proven that he had washed his hands and because of the number of guns and ammo found in the house, his clothing was never test since it would never hold up in court because GSR would be expected.3) "No blood spatter on Mr. Spector's right sleeve. He is right-handed". It was proven that most musician are ambidextrous. He played the piano with both hands, despite Nicole's claim (on the stand).4) "The intraoral gunshot had no exit wound". This would have been true regardless of who fired the shot. The 20 year old bullet had no chance to get to full speed (or impact) during its short flight time.5)"The very minute blood spatter on the left side of his jacket was satellite spatter". Correct, it was. But what you are describing is "Contact Spatter". You switched the terms. Contact Spatter could have cleared him. "satellite spatter" puts him within 2-3 feet (arms length) when the shot was fired.6) "deperate condition of her life at the time of her death". He life was in an up-swing at the time of her death, not down-swing, as you imply. She just had pins removed from both her wrists after 13 months, recovering from a fall. She had commercials and a modeling job lined up. Her down swing peaked just about 2 months prior to her death. Things were looking better, just before her death.So please, defend my father with facts, not misinformation.