DiCaprio Takes Global Warming Warning To Tv

DiCaprio Takes Global Warming Warning To Tv

Tags: Oprah Winfrey

LEONARDO DiCAPRIO joined environmentalists to give Americans a pre-Hallowe'en scare on Oprah Winfrey's chat show in the US yesterday (27OCT05), when he warned about the dangers of global warming.

The TITANIC star presented a segment from a politically-charged new documentary, called GLOBAL WARMING, which he narrates, and explained he felt the last year's hurricanes and tsunamis are just a terrifying warning of what is to come.

DiCaprio and DR MICHAEL OPPENHEIMER, a professor at Princeton University, attempted to explain the "complicated issue" of global warming, emphasising that America, which boasts five per cent of the world's population, produces 25 per cent of the globe's carbon emissions.

The actor stated, "Global warming is not only the number one environmental issue that we're facing today, but one of the most important issues facing all of humanity.

"We're in a situation right now where we're basically emitting too much of this carbon pollution from our cars and our electric power plants that burn coal into the atmosphere, and it's causing our planet to heat up."

Winfrey listened intently as DiCaprio warned about the dangers of ignoring the problem, and then said, "You feel like NOAH (biblical character who built an arc in preparation for a great flood) to me - you're like, 'Pay attention, pay attention, pay attention.'"

Winfrey then confessed she owns one of the five worst sports utility vehicles on a new emissions list, prompting DiCaprio to state, "That's OK, as long as you change that."

Comments

Brett61's picture

Brett61

Poor guy, he's out of his league. I hate it when an actor withoutout a college education or a journalist with a degree in journalism opine about things they have no background to understand. Next Opra and DiCaprio can give me advice on an up coming surgery I may need, I heard they staid at a Holiday Inn Express.

Mashman's picture

Mashman

Any pro "global warming" doomsayers do any research of thier own?Google "Solar Magnetic Cycle" you'll find out the CO2 theory of global warming is a bunch of hogwash.And I love the comment that someone brought up earlier about "3000 leading scientist" signing off on GW. How many of those 3000 were climatologist? Do a little research and you'll find out what a silly statement that is.Kyoto has very little to do about GW, and EVERYTHING to do about economics. Kyoto is a means, to level the playing field by social govenments against the US. The US economy has too great of an advantage against the rest of the world - that's also the sole purpose of the EU.Kyoto aims to cripple the US economy, and uses junk science as it's catalyst.

Thevisionary's picture

Thevisionary

By the way Joe - I do have solutions - but since you have no intellectual curiosity it never occurred to you to ask.

KGS59's picture

KGS59

Dicaprio and other star studded 'experts', are guilty of taking a very complicated issue (Global Warming)and using it for their own selfish political purposes. I wonder how Mr.Dicaprio will explain the fact that the ground gives off more CO2 gasses, offseting all of Britains reductions in CO2 emmissions in a year,........by 300%Stick to making movies.

Qat's picture

Qat

The hype about global warming is junk science. My first complaint about it is that there is no definition for the phenomenon. That means that anyone who wants to say that it is happening is free to define it in his own way and then assert that it is happening. My second concern is that when I hear meteorologists talk about global temperatures, they say that they are not even sure if they are measuring temperatures in the right places to know if the global temperature is increasing. The globe is very large, and weather is the product of temperature variations in land, water and air. Measuring in the right place at the right frequency is the first challenge, and trending it correctly is the second one.I also wonder if we have been measuring temperatures anywhere for a long enough period to conclude whether the globe is warming or cooling. Wouldn't we need at least a thousand years of real measurements? Furthermore, with regard to the cause of global warming, the earth has been warmer and colder many times already. There were no cars or power plants around that last time that the earth was in a hot period. I think a lot of people with warm fuzzyies about the earth have jumped to politically charged conclusions fed by a basic desire to make humans into the root of evil. We drive cars, use electricity, wear fur coats and eat meat. It sounds as if you are very altruistic and self-effacing to blame humanity for what you perceive to be global problems. Rather than serving some useful purpose, the yammering on the subject of global warming is at the very least drowning out the voice of real science.

moomanfl's picture

moomanfl

Ok 'thevisionary' (this name is a joke... right? Please tell me you aren't serious.) I just had to respond to this one point by point. Just refer back to your points and match 'em up.1) Agree'd. We just happen to be more fortunate in many other respects. But this proves nothing.2) True... but so far no one is accusing you of objective thinking.3) This statement is based on what? By previous statements it is obvious that you know little about 'real Christians'. The certainly would if that political party stands for the morals they believe in. And for the last part... that is pure hogwash. If it were true then Christianity would have disappeared at the fall of the Roman or even the Byzantine empires. Darn... you mean we are extinct and didn't know it? Then what is the fuss about? LOL4) LOL... Evangelicals by definition CAN'T destroy the teachings of Jesus since by definition that is what they are evangelizing. Did you really think this through before you typed it? Politics is just another means of getting the word out my friend. Seems your real beef is that you can't shut them up. Weren't you talking about free speech before? How funny.5) Wow... this post board has influence world opinion that much??? Funny I didn't notice it sooner. LOL From what I have read the only 'hate' was for uninformed, 'echo chamber' comments.6a) This data is based on what? And it also seems you are extrapolating a bit which is definitely not scientific of you.6b) Yes you outlined... but that was simply your opinion. I think you will find that many disagree with your conclusions.6c) Assuming this is true (and I have heard the government condemn it) then the US Goverment is about in line with most of the other world governments... in practice. As for whether it is effective or not, who knows. I haven't been present for torture, nor had the chance to verify information gleaned from torture. Have you?6d) Show us your data. Anyway assume for a second that this was true to a degree... they also have a more socialist (but not to be confused with communist) government help system that is riddled with flaws and actually makes somethings harder. They also pay MUCH higher taxes. Also your idea of poverty is based on what? What is the average income compared to average US income?6e) The key word is 'realatively'.... relative to what? My grandfather was a 'blue collar' worker but still had all his bills paid, owned a house (not fancy, but his) and even had sattelite TV. The poverty rate is more to blame on the liberals dumbing down the education system by lowering expectations and the constant push to have people more reliant on the government to get their needs than being self-reliant and hard working. Somebody sold the idea that the government owes you so stop working for it. As for how good it is in Scandanavia... yet you still choose to live where? Guess it isn't so bad after all eh? I am sure they would let you immigrate if you wanted to leave.6f) This one is just laughable... I know MANY Republicans. By your statement then about 2 out of 3 Republicans that I know believe this. Funny... I haven't been able to find one. The only people I have heard claiming that people think this is the liberals. Again... show me your data to support this statement.6g) This is pure malarky. The US has HEAVY regulations on pollution from industry as well as from vehicles. In my own state we continually have to have emissions test done on our vehicles before we can renew registration and it is the same in many other states. This seems to be based on the fact that we turned down the Kyoto Protocol... so what? You obviously haven't read it... or read between the lines. But this has all been stated already so either you didn't bother reading the earlier post or you are willfully ignorant.6h) Where is your logic coming from? Condoms have a failure rate... Abstinence does not. Gee since with HIV your are betting your life which gives you the better odds? And teaching this is bad? How will more abstinent people (till marraige, and then monogamous) be more likely to get HIV? This is another one you didn't think through was it? More people will die of HIV because people like you muddy the waters rather than try and teach them the thing that will give them the best chance at survival. But then if you believe in evolution... people that would risk dying to get laid are just culling the idiocy out of the species. Way to go, Darwin.6i) Excuse us for believing in life... I guess this is another 'keep your mouth shut' deal? Being passive about your values is a way to watch them get trampled on. Same as your liberties.6j) I am assuming this a 'gun control' statement? If guns kill people... then I ought to sue Ticonderoga because my good ole #2 pencil mispelled words. People kill people, not guns. When it wasn't guns, it was swords, and knives, bare hands, and even rocks. Murder is timeless... but the weapon isn't to blame.6k) Crusade: A vigorous concerted movement for a cause or against an abuse. See Synonyms at campaign. -Dictionary.com -- see... it doesn't have just a religious meaning although the liberals would like to treat it like it does. Poor choice of words maybe, but still honestly meant.6l) Ok... third times a charm... Sources for your data? Poorly documented sources aside, I think our ideas of why the Educational system is bad (no disagreement on that point) are quite different. See my previous statement about liberals and dumbing down the standards. Yet they scream when a Governor wants stricter testing to catch the problem early so it can be addressed. As for political corruption... you have got to be kidding me right? Do a little research on the problems found in other governments first. The same for elections. You need to learn how to use google... and PLEASE list your references when you give statistics or quote opinions or we will start thinking you just made it up.6m) references references references... as for that being proven... bull. Show me where it was proven and not just speculated? There was an article in Discover Magazine about this very subject just a couple of months ago. I suggest you read it. The rejection of GM is mainly due to misinformation and paranoia not data. Once again you can blame the greenies for this.Here you have abandoned the numbering so I shall too... Actually... despite being an evangelical Christian, I happen to love science, have encouraged the study of science with my kids, and often discuss science with my family. Your lack of logic in your arguments and poor use of refernces shows you have a very weak background in science. Allergic to garlic, are you?Your logic on organized religion doesn't hold up at all. Using the same logic I could say that secularism is bad because it promotes the idea of self. Leading to rampant pursuit of self-interest to the detriment of others... is that true? Rethink your argument.LOL... most religions recognize this? What are you basing thing statement on? And I am confused on what 'newly unearthed gospel' you are referring to.As for hate... I have heard more hate spewed at Christians than I have heard 'spewed' at just about anyone else on earth... leaves you to wonder who is really doing the hating these days. (quote-- "fundamentalist (Christians) are the biggest threat to humanity"... if that isn't hate then what is?) LOL... now you are flailing and becoming more irrational in your statements..."If a fundamentalist commits perjury or treason - then all of a sudden it is a 'technicality'." --- Well that depends on what the definition of 'is' is. LOLMarxist criminalizing corruption? Where do you get this stuff? LOL Better yet... who are you referring to? REFRENCES, man!!! LOLOLLastly, accusing those that don't agree with you as being an ideologue and a person that doesn't read books (read Tolkein personally for the first time when I was 4), incapable of thinking deeply, unimaginative, backwards (see my previous comments on science and your lack of), and unobjective, is the worst sort of arrogant, and bigoted tripe I have ever heard and totally undermines any point you tried to make. Combine that with the worst sort of 'echo chamber' spewing of innuendo and garbage data without one reference to back up your statements throws you into the very catagory you try to consign me and those like me to.I am a Christian, I am proud of being a Christian, I don't hate anyone (not even mulims of whom I have a few as friends), I read constantly all varieties of reading material, I discuss what I read, I don't always agree with what I read, I create art, I innovate ideas of all sort (none earth shattering, but then I haven't seen your Nobel Prize either), and I came by my beliefs and values through carful consideration not just because someone told me to.I don't necessarily believe you are homosexual (nothing you have said referenced that one way or another), you seem to have a facination with marxism (since you bring it up more than anyone I have heard in the last 20 years) but I don't believe you necessarily are one since I don't know you, I have no idea what your illnesses are other than an overwhelming bitterness towards those that believe in God, I truely hope you are well and have lots of friends and family around you. And God is not American... he is God. LOLI will pray that you start thinking.

Bigdavetx's picture

Bigdavetx

When will these Hollywood idiots (and Oprah) learn that we don't care what they have to say. Why would I in my right mind listen to a high school educated "expert" tell me something in black and white terms that I know to be a very complicated issue. Please Hollywood, just shut up and entertain me with your acting and singing talents.

Driggsy's picture

Driggsy

DiCaprio is a kid....wet behind the ears who clearly has absolutely no grasp on the real science behind his fallacious claims. He is just being a liberal actor because that is what is expected of him....please don't ask him or Oprah(for that matter) to actually think ......it is asking too much!!!

Goz's picture

Goz

97% of the green house gasses is water vapor of the remaining 3% or so about 2% is carbon dioxide. carbon dioxide is used by plants to grow and put more oxygen into the air. So from the numbers we need to reduce water vapor to prevent global warming. Oh global tempetures have risen .5 deg C in the last 55 years. And the increase in temp is directly correlated to sunspot activity. Let's hope the the enviro folk really look at what it takes to take care of the planet and not grab headlines.Goz

Real Truth's picture

Real Truth

DiCaprio must be ignorant of some things. Tsunamis are not caused by Global Warming. Did this kid flunk basic science? Tsunamis are caused by earth quakes, as most of the world knows. But alas what kind of kook would DiCaprio be if he didn't say these things.Also, Global Warming is as old as the planet itself. It has always been, is now, and will always be. Quit crying about the one constant in life: "CHANGE!" Instead learn how to adapt. The earth does a pretty good job of it. It is just man is too selfish and self centered to learn to adapt. Man just runs around crying about everything.Kid is just a tool for others.