Tommy Hilfiger - Tommy Hilfiger cancels menswear show
Tommy Hilfiger has cancelled his menswear show at New York Fashion Week so the brand can focus on their womanswear showcase.
Tommy Hilfiger has cancelled his menswear show at New York Fashion Week.
The all-American designer was due to showcase his latest designs for males when Fashion Week returns to the Big Apple in September, but has decided against the show so the brand can concentrate on its women's collection.
Avery Baker, Tommy Hilfiger Group chief marketing officer, said: ''We've made a strategic decision to focus our attention during New York Fashion Week on our women's business.
''Menswear remains at the heart of the Tommy Hilfiger brand, and we will continue to develop innovative ways to present our men's collections through channels that speak directly to consumers.''
The move is surprising as menswear accounts for 60 per cent of the brand's global business compared to womenswear, which makes up 40 per cent.
Meanwhile, menswear creative consultant Simon Spurr has departed from the label. Simon
had earlier quit his own eponymous label but said he would continue working with the Hilfiger brand. The move sparks speculation he is to concentrate all his efforts on a new brand.
Men's collections will now be designed by Tommy and his in-house team, carrying on the designer's tradition of preppy, unpretentious fashion.
Tommy recently said: ''I don't believe in pretentious fashion, in clothes that are exorbitantly priced, unwearable or created as an artwork for a museum. In my view, fashion is for the moment, but style is an enduring frame of mind.
''People with good taste never have to try too hard because they know if you spend too much time looking in the mirror you'll only end up confused.''
Tommy Hilfiger has also announced it is moving its womenswear show at Fashion Week from its traditional Sunday 8pm slot to Monday September 9 at 11am.